Azithromycin 500mg Film-coated tablets
Azithromycin belongs to a group of medicines called macrolide antibiotics. Antibiotics are used to treat infections caused by micro-organisms like bacteria.
Azithromycin is used for the treatment of certain infections caused by bacteria that are sensitive to it, such as:
- chest, throat or nasal infections (such as bronchitis, pneumonia, tonsillitis, sore throat (pharyngitis) and sinusitis)
- ear infections
- skin and soft tissue infections, (such as an abscess or boil)
- sexually transmitted diseases caused by organisms called Chlamydia trachomatis and Neisseria gonorrhoea. You must talk to a doctor if you do not feel better or if you feel worse
Therapeutic Indication for Azithromycin 500mg Film-coated tablets
Treatment of the following bacterial infections induced by micro-organisms susceptible to azithromycin (see sections 4.4 and 5.1):
– infections of the lower respiratory tract: acute exacerbation of chronic
– bronchitis (adequately diagnosed) and mild to moderate community-acquired pneumonia;
– infections of the upper respiratory tract: sinusitis and pharyngitis/tonsillitis;
– acute otitis media;
– infections of the skin and soft tissues of mild to moderate severity e.g. folliculitis, cellulites, erysipelas;
– uncomplicated Chlamydia trachomatis urethritis and cervicitis.
Consideration should be given to official guidance on the appropriate use of antibacterial agents.